The place of religious worship (consecrated in 1365 and ordained Parish in 1566) is dedicated to a famous personality of the history of England, Thomas Becket, the Bishop of Canterbury, who was killed in 1170.
Corenno Plinio, part of Dervio municipality in the Province of Lecco, is an example of well preserved Medieval village, built around its castle and its church, and located on a cliff overlooking the eastern shore of Lake Como on the way towards Valtellina. In 1862 Plinio was added to the original name Corenno to commemorate the Roman consul Caio Plinio Cecilio Secondo, who had a villa on the lake. In Corenno the stone walls, the XIV century castle, the ancient houses of the patricians, the steep steps carved in the rock and the cobbled square give a peculiar character suggesting its past history.
The square, which was the very heart of the village, is dominated by the castle and the church dedicated to a famous personality of the history of England, Thomas Becket, the Bishop of Canterbury, who was killed in 1170, and the public opinion of the time and history have laid the blame for the murder at the feet of King Henry II. Built around the XII century, the Saint Thomas of Canterbury Church was consecrated in 1365 and ordained Parish in 1566. Although restored and enlarged, the building still has remains of ancient frescoes dating back to the Lombard school of the XIV – XV century, which were found in 1966. In the square, on the sides of the church entrance, there are the grave monuments of the Counts Andreani, the feudal lords of the Archbishop of Milan Ottone Visconti dating back to 1271: XIV century works with the Andreani’s coat of arms and a plaque reminding the strong relation between the family and the village.
The Corenno Castle, that replaced an ancient citadel, was part of the defense system of the Visconti’s, the Lords of Milan, and according to some sources, connected by secret passages to the Orezia Castle in Dervio. Constructed on roman foundation with rocks dug on site or picked up by the lake shore, the castle has an irregular square plan and crown walls that can be dated between 1360 and 1370. It is a fortification built as a shelter for the population in case of attack and has two towers: one entrance tower facing the town and a squared tower overlooking the mountain. The moat around the castle, cited in the “Statuto del Comune di Dervio” of 1389, was filled in between 1825 and 1830 for the construction of the military road . The village of Corenno, with its typical alleys carved in the rock, was subsequently built up from the castle. Programmed guided tours of the castle are scheduled monthly.